BANNERS GO UP IN EVINGTON VILLAGE
These banners were put up in Evington for 4th March 2016 as part of a Leicester City Council scheme to highlight 6 ‘villages’ in Leicester and their unique identity. The other ‘villages’ are Aylestone, Belgrave, Braunstone, Humberstone and Knighton.
The City Council website at visitleicester.info/evington describes some things to see and do in Evington.
An old cottage that stood on the site of the existing Coop store in the centre of Evington village
Evington Chapel was built in 1837 in a Gothic style. Near the Chapel was the Manse and the Horse and Groom pub, both demolished now. The Chapel is a Grade 11 listed building. Inside is an organ with a royal connection. Prince Albert, consort of Queen Victoria, was a pipe organ enthusiast. He had an organ built for one of the royal palaces and then he replaced it with a larger organ and offered the original organ for sale. It was bought by Evington Chapel and is still played at every service.
This house is on the right hand side as you enter Evington. The photograph shows how it was designed to look like a ship.
An old photograph of Shady Lane, the road that leads from Evington to Oadby.
The Cedars was previously a large private house and became a public house when the licence from the Horse and Groom public house was tranferred in 1938. Shortly after this the Horse and Groom was demolished. From 1897 to 1905 E. Phillips Oppenheim (1866 – 1946) lived in the Cedars house. He was a prolific English novelist (150 novels) and a successful writer of genre fiction, dealing with international espionage and intrigue. He styled himself the ‘prince of storytellers’.
The house stands on land that was a deer park after the Norman Conquest. In 1735 the land was bought be the famous botanist and physician Dr. James Sherard. Evington House was build by John Burnaby in 1836 as a retirement house for himself, his wife and their unmarried daughters. During WW1 it was a V.A.D. (Voluntary Aided Detatchment) hospital. In 1919 it was sold to Frank Pochin (a Leicester manufacturer) and in 1931 it was sold to Tom Trevor Sawday, a major achitect in Leicester. During the Second World it was the headquarters of the Evington Home Guard. In 1947 the Estate was sold by the Sawday family to Leicester Corporation and opened to the public in 1948.
An old photograph of the existing Evington Chapel.
This old cottage was renovated by the present owner. The old cottages along High Street (some now demolished) were referred to as ‘Stockingers’ Cottages’. That was a carry-over from the days before the hosiery and knitwear industry entered the factory stage. Knitting was then carried out in people’s homes on old-fashioned stocking frames. The yarn would be supplied by a merchant in Leicester and the finished garment lengths collected once a week.
Evington Park LE5 6DE